Summer in Italy spoils us for choice over the best Italian beaches from the north to the south, including some beautiful secluded spots on Italy’s islands. While August often seems like a bum’s rush to get your spot on the sand, nothing bad can be said about azure waters, sun or snorkelling opportunities.
TripAdvisor has put together a list of Italy’s top ten seaside locations for 2011 starting with San Vito Lo Capo and passing through some more famous names, too. Here is the list:
- San Vito lo Capo, Sicily - a quiet spot on the North Coast of Sicily, not far from Trapani
- Villasimius, Sardinia - on the south point of Sardinia, not far from Cagliari in an area famous for its VIP locations and night clubs
- Lampedusa Island (although we recommend avoiding this right now given the boatloads of African immigrants arriving and the presence of the Italian military)
- Vieste, Puglia - in the middle of the Gargano national park, this is one for nature lovers who want private spots for swimming
- Alghero, Sardinia - another spot on Italy’s famous island of Sardinia, Alghero has an old town and a few beaches to offer on the west coast